20 August 2011

How do you run?

If you're in a race and you fall down, do you stay down and cry, get up and run away, or get up and keep running?

Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight, and sin which clings so closely, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, (Hebrews 12:1 ESV)

Life is the race set before us. We chose our path. Do you run your path complaining all the while of its steepness? Or do you run and lag behind, too caught up in the view of a moment ago? Or, do you run your hardest to the goal in sight, encouraging the faltering runners beside you?
I'd love to say that I run my race the third way. Too often, though, I am more the first or second. I tend to get caught wishing I could spend more time in the past, forgetting my end goal. C.S. Lewis said, " the present is the point where time touches eternity." I love that quote. (actually, I love anything C.S. Lewis) :) But this quote really makes me think. We have trouble comprehending the concept of eternity with our human brains. Time without end. A circle. But that's what this moment is. A point in eternity. So how we run our race becomes even more important. Our time here on earth is short compared to the rest of eternity. Solomon said "The end of the matter; all has been heard. Fear God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole duty of man." (Ecclesiastes 12:13 ESV)
That is the goal of your race. Fear God. Keep his commands. How well are you running towards your goal?

Love :)
R

No comments:

Post a Comment