21 February 2014

small

Five Minute Friday! :)

He speaks to us
and I see His galaxy spread wide before these eyes.
A billion stars flung with abandon and careful presicion into the inky sky,
and I know.

I am small.

I sit waiting for the wave to crest and carry my kayak up, and I see the ocean spread white tipped wave after white tipped wave,
and I know.

I am small.

My skis slip through the powder like a knife through flour, and the mountains rise high, jagged against the brilliant blue winter sky.
I know.

I am small.

He's big.

That's the right way.

Then one of my favorite stories tells of Elijah wanting to see God:

Go out and stand before me on the mountain,” the Lord told him. And as Elijah stood there, the Lord passed by, and a mighty windstorm hit the mountain. It was such a terrible blast that the rocks were torn loose, but the Lord was not in the wind. After the wind there was an earthquake, but the Lord was not in the earthquake. And after the earthquake there was a fire, but the Lord was not in the fire. And after the fire there was the sound of a gentle whisper. When Elijah heard it, he wrapped his face in his cloak and went out and stood at the entrance of the cave.
1 Kings 19:11-13

Another translation calls it the "still, small voice."

To you who know you are small:
listen for the gentle whisper of God who is big.

Love:)

R

4 comments:

  1. 1 Kings 19, one of my absolute favorite stories in the entire Bible!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's good to know that while we are small, God is mindful of us. That amazes me when I am awakened to the reality of my smallness.
    I'm visiting from FMF. Thank you for your words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it a wonderful thing? Thank you for stopping here. :)

      Delete