17 November 2011

For this is the whole duty of man.....

On the final day I die
I want to hold my head up high
I want to tell You that I tried
To live it like a song

And when I reach the other side
I want to look You in the eye
And know that I've arrived
In a world where I belong
Where I belong

 (From Where I Belong by Switchfoot)

In my small group the other day we got asked what we wanted people to remember about us, what impression we wanted to leave when we died, ,what we wanted remembered as the purpose of our life. A very good question.
 I love how Switchfoot puts it.
I want to hold my head up high
I want to tell You that I tried
To live it like a song

What, though, does God say our purpose is? Why are we put on this messed-up earth?

The end of the matter; all has been heard. Fear God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole duty of man. (Ecclesiastes 12:13)

I think that just about sums it up. We are here to worship and glorify God, and whether we do that by impacting thousands like Mother Teresa, or living in a hospital room, that is our duty. Martin Luther King once said:

 "And when you discover what you will be in your life, set out to do it as if God Almighty called you at this particular moment in history to do it. don't just set out to do a good job. Set out to do such a good job that the living, the dead or the unborn couldn't do it any better.

If it falls your lot to be a street sweeper, sweep streets like Michelangelo painted pictures, sweep streets like Beethoven composed music, sweep streets like Leontyne Price sings before the Metropolitan Opera. Sweep streets like Shakespeare wrote poetry. Sweep streets so well that all the hosts of heaven and earth will have to pause and say: Here lived a great street sweeper who swept his job well. "


See, here's the thing. God Almighty did call you to this particular moment in history, put you here to do what He wanted you to do. So fear God and keep His commands in whatever you do .....If it falls your lot to be a street sweeper, sweep streets like Michelangelo painted pictures, sweep streets like Beethoven composed music, sweep streets like Leontyne Price sings before the Metropolitan Opera. Sweep streets like Shakespeare wrote poetry....
 Worship God in how you live your life. In doing everything, whether it is helping at a soup kitchen or doing your geometry homework.

 Fulfill your purpose, so that when people remember you they will say
  "She had a purpose in life, and she wasn't afraid to fulfill it."  So if you become a street sweeper, they will say "Here lived a great street sweeper who swept his job well. "

Live your life. You were created with a purpose for this time, and this place. it is up to you whether or not you step up to the challenge of having a purpose and a meaning in life. I hope you chose to step up.  So let me ask you.  What do you want remembered as the purpose of your life? I hope you can live it like a song.

Love:)
R

No comments:

Post a Comment